London protesters vow to stop British mine and destruction of tribe in India
|Dongria Kondh children |
© Jason Taylor
Survival International will hold a protest tomorrow outside the Indian High Commission in London, to demand that the Indian government stops the mining giant Vedanta Resources from destroying the land of the Dongria Kondh tribe.
Time and date: 12.30-2pm, Wednesday 27 May
Place: Indian High Commission, Aldwych, WC2B 4NA
The London protestors will hold blank placards to symbolize the Indian government’s treatment of the Dongria as invisible.
The Dongria Kondh tribe have vowed to stop British company Vedanta mining bauxite in the lush hills where they live, and have mounted a series of blockades and demonstrations.
But the Indian government, ignoring the Dongrias’ voices, has now granted Vedanta the environmental clearance it needs to begin mining. Operations could start within weeks.
Actress Joanna Lumley, narrating Survival’s film ‘Mine: story of a sacred mountain’, said, ‘It’s only because the Dongria have known their lands so intimately and for so long that this extraordinary forest survives. The Dongria know that [the mine] will ruin their homes, pollute their lands and destroy their lives. We cannot let their fate be decided in a corporate boardroom.’
Survival’s director Stephen Corry said today, ‘The Indian authorities have authorized the destruction of one of its most marginalized tribes, the Dongria Kondh, at the hands of the British company, Vedanta Resources. This is an extremely serious human rights' violation which will hang over India's reputation unless the decision is reversed. The Dongria Kondh might be remote but Survival will ensure their voice is heard around the world. ’
Journalists are invited to attend the protest. For more information and images please contact Miriam Ross at Survival International on (44) (0)7504 543 367 or email email@example.com
Related news articles
- India: Mining company targets Dongria’s sacred hills – AGAIN 22 November, 2016
- Dongria celebrate recent court victory over mining company 20 June, 2016
- Victory for Dongria as Supreme Court quashes new mining attempt 19 May, 2016
- Simon McBurney partners with Survival International for theatrical special in San Francisco 25 April, 2017
- Earth Day: Eight amazing facts that prove tribal people are the best conservationists 21 April, 2017
- Brazilian tribal leader fronts global protests for land rights 18 April, 2017
- Revealed: Genocidal plot to open up territory of uncontacted Amazon tribe 11 April, 2017