Explorer Robin Hanbury-Tenison celebrates 80 years with 8 challenges
Explorer Robin Hanbury-Tenison is undertaking a series of eight challenges ahead of his 80th birthday – one for each decade.
Starting with the London Marathon on April 26, 2015, he will raise much-needed funds for Survival International, the global movement for tribal peoples’ rights, which he co-founded in 1969.
The seven other challenges are:
- Climbing the four highest mountains in the British Isles: Ben Nevis (1344m), Snowdon (1085m), Carrauntoohil (1038m), and Sca Fell (964m);
- Skydiving from about 4,000 metres;
- Cave abseiling down the Titan shaft (141m), the deepest pitch in Britain and out of Peak Cavern in the Derbyshire Peak District, England’s deepest cave;
- Waterskiing across the English Channel.
Hanbury-Tension said: “It is a ridiculous age, which has crept up on me unawares and I do not intend to go gentle into that good night. Instead, I shall do my bit of ‘raging’ by raising lots of money for the cause closest to my heart.”
Robin Hanbury-Tenison, OBE, (b. 1936) is one of the founders and President of Survival International. In 1982, the Sunday Times named him “the greatest explorer of the past 20 years” and in 1991 as one of the 1,000 “Makers of the 20th Century”.
Hanbury-Tenison has been on more than 30 expeditions, including Survival’s first ever field visit in 1971 to dozens of Indian peoples at the invitation of the Brazilian government. His conclusions laid the groundwork for Survival’s international campaign for Brazilian Indians. He led the Royal Geographical Society’s largest expedition of 115 scientists to study the rainforest of Sarawak and was awarded the RGS Gold Medal.
Hanbury-Tenison is aiming to raise £80,000. Visit his fundraising page here.
Robin Hanbury-Tenison is available for interview. Please contact Ghislain Pascal: +44 (0)7778-788735 or [email protected]
- WWF-funded guards helped poachers, then tortured informant who tried to stop them March 15, 2019
- Cover up: Buzzfeed reveals WWF KNEW locals opposed its flagship park – but hid this from funders. March 8, 2019
- Survival International responds to latest Buzzfeed – WWF revelations March 6, 2019
- Buzzfeed report exposes abuses on global scale by WWF-funded guards March 4, 2019