Andaman tour company ends human safaris
|Jarawa, Andaman Islands |
Following Survival International’s condemnation yesterday of human safaris to the Jarawa tribe on the Andaman Islands, the company Andaman Island Adventure has said it will stop promoting the tours.
The company was one of four highlighted by Survival for promoting illegal visits to, or sightings of, the Jarawa. It appears to have removed the relevant page from its website.
Many more companies sell such tours from their shops in the Andaman Islands.
The Indian government issued a public warning to tour operators after Survival alerted it to the safaris.
Related news articles
- Outrage as tour operators sell “human safaris” to Andaman Islands October 17, 2017
- End in sight for India’s notorious human safaris September 18, 2017
- India misses deadline to end Andaman ‘human safaris’ April 20, 2015
- WWF-funded guards helped poachers, then tortured informant who tried to stop them March 15, 2019
- Cover up: Buzzfeed reveals WWF KNEW locals opposed its flagship park – but hid this from funders. March 8, 2019
- Survival International responds to latest Buzzfeed – WWF revelations March 6, 2019
- Buzzfeed report exposes abuses on global scale by WWF-funded guards March 4, 2019