Bangladesh: Tribal people living in fear after attacks
|The children of Ms Buddhapati Chakma,who was shot dead by soldiers, speak to local journalists after last year's attacks |
© Satrong Chakma
Survival has received reports that Bengali settlers in Chittagong Hill Tracts attacked Jumma villages on 17 February 2011, burning down at least 23 houses and leaving two people injured. The attacks followed the death of a Bengali settler in the area. The circumstances of the man’s death are unknown, but reports suggest that no signs of injury were found on his body, and that he had suffered from epilepsy. Jumma representatives say that police and army personnel did nothing to stop the attacks.
This weekend marks the first anniversary of a vicious attack on Jumma tribal people by settlers and soldiers in the Chittagong Hill Tracts of Bangladesh. Two Jummas, a man and a woman, were killed, 450 houses were burnt down and more than 25 Jummas were injured in the violence last year.
Before the attacks, tensions had been mounting between Jummas and Bengali settlers, who with the support of the army had been expanding their settlements onto Jumma land. Hundreds of thousands of settlers have been moved to the Hill Tracts by the Bangladesh government over the last sixty years. The settlers have displaced many of the Jumma tribal people who have also been subjected to violent repression by the army.
Despite an international outcry about the attacks, which were condemned by the UN and the EU, there has been no formal investigation into the violence and no settlers or soldiers have been prosecuted. Four Jumma youths were arrested and tortured by the army, and have been released on bail.
The Jummas who lost their homes in the attacks are living in makeshift houses, despite government promises of rehabilitation and compensation.
Aid agencies, including the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), have been prevented from working in the area. There are reports that army and intelligence activities have dramatically increased.
One Jumma told Survival, ‘Military forces frequently conduct patrolling and searching operations throughout the Baghaihat area. Searching of houses, arrest and torturing of Jumma peoples by military forces is continuing.’
In 1997 the government and the Jummas signed a peace accord that committed the government to removing military camps from the region and to ending the theft of Jumma land by settlers and the army. The accord offered hope, but military camps remain in the Hill Tracts and violence and land grabbing continue.
Survival’s director Stephen Corry said today, ‘It is scandalous that killings, torture, land grabbing and arson are still going on in the Chittagong Hill Tracts 14 years after the peace accord was signed. The Jumma tribal people deserve to be able to live in peace on their own land.’
Related news articles
- Soldiers rape and assault Marma girls in Chittagong Hill Tracts February 8, 2018
- Suffering of Jumma tribes continues 20 years after peace accord December 2, 2017
- Bangladesh: Hundreds of Jumma houses torched by settlers – as army and police stand by June 8, 2017
- Indigenous Environmental Defender killed as logging mafia targets tribe August 15, 2018
- Amazing new footage of last survivor of Amazon tribe July 20, 2018
- Deadly measles epidemic hits isolated Yanomami tribe June 28, 2018
- “Guardians of the Amazon” seize illegal loggers to protect uncontacted tribe May 22, 2018