Bushman eviction suspended
On Tuesday 28 May, Botswana’s High Court ruled that the case be suspended until mid-June, when the Bushmen will be forced to return to court to defend their land.
Government authorities had already arrived at Ranyane to remove the Bushmen, some of whom are pensioners that claim to have been born there.
The area lies within a so-called ‘Wildlife Corridor,’ and the Bushmen have been told their communities are blocking the free movement of animals.
A Ranyane Bushman told Survival today, ‘Please tell your supporters thank you so much for writing to the government. Authorities arrived to take my people away but they refused to go. We will return to court to defend our land.’
Survival will continue to support the Ranyane Bushmen’s decision to remain on their ancestral land.
Related news articles
- Kalahari Bushmen appeal to Dalai Lama August 11, 2017
- Twentieth anniversary of eviction from Kalahari highlights Bushmen plight May 8, 2017
- Botswana defies its courts on historic anniversary December 13, 2016
- Outrage as tour operators sell “human safaris” to Andaman Islands October 17, 2017
- “Pygmy” man pleads with Bronx Zoo organization after son is killed for conservation October 12, 2017
- Renowned indigenous leaders call for end to uncontacted ‘genocide’ October 9, 2017
- New report exposes widespread abuse funded by big conservation organizations September 25, 2017